AREC Extension Publications
Permanent URI for this collection
Now showing 1 - 5 of 31
- ItemNew Coronavirus Food Assistance Program May Provide Relief to Maryland Growers Due to COVID-19 Losses(2020-05) Goeringer, PaulUSDA recently announced the Coronavirus Food Assistance Program (CFAP), a program of financial assistance for growers impacted by disruptions due to COVID-19, specifically for commodities which have seen a 5 percent loss or greater in price decline or losses due to supply chain disruptions. Eligible growers will receive a one-time payment from two possible funding sources, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) and the Commodity Credit Corporation Charter Act. Signup begins May 26, 2020, and runs through August 28, 2020.
- ItemForce Majeure Clauses: What Are They and Do They Apply in Issues Caused by COVID19?(2020-04-10) Goeringer, Paul; Thilmany, Elizabeth; Suri, Mayhah2020 has been a challenging year with the global economic shutdown from COVID-19 leading to disruptions in many industries. Agriculture has had its fair share of disruptions from this global pandemic. Such disruptions have raised questions for many of you about your contracts to supply farm products to businesses, such as restaurants or schools, that no longer need those products due to shutdowns. You may also have issues finding labor to help move products to customers. Contracts between suppliers and customers often include provisions called force majeure clauses. These clauses allow one or both parties in a contract to excuse the performance, in this case, the fulfillment, of the contract in certain situations.
- ItemFinding An Attorney for Your Case Requires Asking the Right Questions(2019-09) Goeringer, PaulSelecting an attorney to represent you is not always an easy prospect especially if it is your first time needing legal help. You may not know how to go about finding the right attorney or what questions to ask. Does the attorney have experience handling cases like yours? Do you understand how the attorney will bill you? Are you paying a flat fee or being billed hourly? Selecting the right attorney and understanding expectations on both sides will hopefully lead to a successful attorney-client relationship.
- Item2019 Market Facilitation Program Available to Assist Producers Trade Disputes(2019-08-04) Millet-Williams, Nerice; Goeringer, PaulThe U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Farm Service Agency (FSA) established the Market Facilitation Program (MFP) under Section 5 of the Commodity Credit Corporation (CCC) Charter Act in 2018. This section authorizes CCC to assist in the disposition of surplus commodities and to increase the domestic consumption of agricultural commodities by expanding or aiding in the expansion of domestic markets or by developing or aiding in the development of new and additional markets, marketing facilities and uses for such commodities. MFP provides direct payments to producers of specific products impacted by foreign tariffs. This program has been updated for 2019 to continue to assist growers impacted by trade disputes.
- ItemInsuring Green Peas(2019) House, Meredith; Goeringer, Paul; Leathers, Howard