Final Archaeological Investigations at the Maynard-Burgess House (18AP64): An 1850-1980 African-American Household in Annapolis, Maryland

Thumbnail Image

Publication or External Link







The Maynard-Burgess House was excavated by Archaeology in Annapolis from Fall, 1990 to Summer, 1992. The still-standing house is located at 163 Duke of Gloucester Street in Annapolis' Historic District and is today being restored by Port of Annapolis, Incorporated. Archaeological testing and excavation of the site was developed alongside architectural analyses and archival research as the initial phase of the home's restoration. The Maynard-Burgess House was continuously occupied by two African-American families, the Maynards and the Burgesses, from the 1850s until the late 1980s. The main block of the house was built between 1850 and 1858 by the household of John T. Maynard, a free African American born in 1810,and his wife Maria Spencer Maynard. Maynard descendants lived in the home until it was foreclosed in 1908 and subsequently sold to the family of Willis and Mary Burgess in 1915. Willis had been a boarder in the home in 1880, and his sister Martha Ready had married John and Maria's son John Henry. Burgess descendants lived at the home until its sale in 1990.