Show simple item record

Historic Maryland Newspaper Essay: St. Mary's Beacon

dc.contributor.authorMcElrath, Douglas
dc.date.accessioned2017-01-26T18:53:52Z
dc.date.available2017-01-26T18:53:52Z
dc.date.issued2016-06
dc.identifierhttps://doi.org/10.13016/M24P0S
dc.identifier.citationNational Digital Newspaper Projecten_US
dc.identifier.issnhttp://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1903/19113
dc.description.abstractFounded in 1839 in southern Maryland's Leonardtown, the St. Mary's Beacon chronicled the life a times of a small, remote community. Its reverie was shattered during the Civil War when Union troops occupied the town, but St. Mary's County soon returned to its quiet, conservative ways. The Beacon documented gradual change as the arrival of the railroad and steamboat helped connect the rural backwater to the outside world.en_US
dc.description.sponsorshipSponsors: This essay was written to fulfill the requirements established by the National Digital Newspaper Project, based at the Library of Congress and funded by a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities.en_US
dc.language.isoen_USen_US
dc.publisherLibrary of Congressen_US
dc.subjectMaryland Newspapersen_US
dc.titleHistoric Maryland Newspaper Essay: St. Mary's Beaconen_US
dc.typeOtheren_US
dc.relation.isAvailableAtDigital Repository at the University of Marylanden_us
dc.relation.isAvailableAtUniversity of Maryland Librariesen_us
dc.relation.isAvailableAtUniversity of Maryland (College Park, MD)en_us


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record