Author FAQs

Open Access FAQs

See also: DRUM How to's


What is DRUM?

DRUM is the Digital Repository at the University of Maryland. Currently, there are three types of materials in our collections: faculty-deposited documents, a Library-managed collection of UM theses and dissertations, and collections of technical reports.

As a digital repository, files are maintained on DRUM for the long term. DRUM provides a distribution service by making files available via the Internet. Descriptive information on the deposited works is distributed freely to search engines. Unlike the Web, where pages come and go and addresses to resources can change overnight, repository items have a permanent URL and the institution is committed to maintaining the service into the future.

Who manages DRUM?

The University of Maryland Libraries manage both the software and hardware for DRUM as a service to the campus. The Libraries are also working to ensure that the submission process is simple and error-free. Staff at the Libraries checks files at the time of deposit to make sure that file submission was successful and to check for obvious errors in the submission process. No review of content is performed. You can contact DRUM's managers by email at drum-help@umd.edu..

Who can use DRUM?

There are two services provided by DRUM: browsing or searching for stored works and depositing works. Anyone with access to the Internet can browse or search for works stored in DRUM. More information on searching DRUM is available. Only University of Maryland faculty can currently deposit works into DRUM. More information on depositing works is available.

How do I find scholarly works deposited in DRUM?

DRUM allows both searching and browsing of deposited works. On most DRUM pages, you can find a search box and a list of browsing options in the upper left corner of the page. If you select a particular community or collection, you will also be offered searching and browsing options for that individual community or collection. Instructions on using the help function are available using DRUM's help link. In addition to searching within DRUM, you may also find DRUM-deposited works by searching a dedicated Open Archives search engine such as OAIster or even by using popular Web search engines like Google or Yahoo.

Author FAQs

Who can deposit scholarly works into DRUM?

Only University of Maryland faculty can currently deposit works into DRUM. More information about depositing works is available.

What rights do I give up when I deposit a work in DRUM?

The University of Maryland needs some rights to be granted by authors so that their works can be maintained in the repository. As an author, you never have to give another organization ALL of your copyrights for them to legally store and maintain your work. Recognizing that the University of Maryland needs to have authors approve a minimum level of rights transfer, the agreement used by DRUM only asks for non-exclusive rights to keep the work, preserve it, and make it available on the Web. The term "non-exclusive" means that when you deposit a work in DRUM, you retain all of the copyrights to your work. You can sign other agreements with other organizations granting them the rights you have retained or you can use and enforce those rights yourself. Authors often have many questions about their copyrights for their works and how copyright issues affect their ability to deposit work in DRUM. More information is available about your rights as an author and about giving non-exclusive rights to the University of Maryland.

How do I know if I have the rights to deposit an item?

The only way you can determine what rights you have retained to a work is to read the agreement you originally signed with your publisher. If you cannot find your copy of the agreement, you can request it from the publisher. Information on contacting a journal publisher is usually easily located by checking the journal's Web site. If you signed an agreement giving all rights to the work to the publisher (retaining none for yourself), you can contact the publisher and request permission to deposit the work into DRUM. A sample letter requesting deposit rights is available. Many publishers are inclined to maintain goodwill in their relationships with authors and readily grant such rights. Once permission has been received, you are free to deposit the work into DRUM. More information is available about your rights as an author.

Can I remove items from DRUM once I have submitted them?

Once submitted, items cannot be removed from the repository. Permanent retention of deposited works is a basic function of the repository. DRUM offers a brief guide describing the submission process in detail. If you deposited a file in error, contact DRUM's help staff at drum-help@umd.edu or call 301-314-1328.

I only have print materials. Can I scan my work and deposit the files?

DRUM accepts only electronic files; however, a scanned copy of a print document can be deposited. The Office of Academic Computing Services provides two first-come first-serve self-service scanning stations that allow users to scan hard copy documents and/or photos and convert them to PDF. Scanners may be found in Lefrak 0227. Also, UM campus WAM Labs provide self-scanning services.

What if I have a revised edition to something I've submitted? Can I substitute it for the copy already submitted to DRUM?

DRUM's software does not have any functionality to allow submitters to substitute files after a deposit has been made. You can make a separate submission of a later edition, but you cannot remove an earlier edition or annotate its descriptive information.

Can I deposit works that I created before I became affiliated with the University of Maryland?

As long as the work fits the DRUM deposit policy, it does not matter if you created it before you were affiliated with the University of Maryland. You might consider adding some key words or descriptive information during the deposit process to acknowledge your affiliation at the time of the work's creation.

What happens to my deposited works if I leave the University of Maryland?

DRUM is designed to be a permanent repository for your works. Even if you leave the University of Maryland, your works will be retained indefinitely in DRUM.

What if I have a co-author who isn't affiliated with the University of Maryland. Can I still deposit the work?

As long as your co-author does not object to depositing the work in DRUM, only one author needs to be affiliated with the University of Maryland. If there are co-authors, the University of Maryland author must be the person to submit the work into DRUM. Depositing a work into more than one digital repository is allowed, so you could deposit the work in DRUM and your co-author could deposit it into his or her institutional repository.

Open Access FAQs

What does "open access" mean?

Open access is a term used to refer to a group of issues relating to the creation of very open and very low-cost scholarly communication. To quote the Budapest Open Access Initiative, "There are many degrees and kinds of wider and easier access to this literature. By 'open access' to this literature, we mean its free availability on the public internet, permitting any users to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of these articles, crawl them for indexing, pass them as data to software, or use them for any other lawful purpose, without financial, legal, or technical barriers other than those inseparable from gaining access to the internet itself. The only constraint on reproduction and distribution, and the only role for copyright in this domain, should be to give authors control over the integrity of their work and the right to be properly acknowledged and cited." For more information on open access a great source is Peter Suber's Open Access Overview. DRUM's services enhance open access to research and scholarship created at the University of Maryland.

What is the Open Archives Initiative (OAI)?

The Open Archives Initiative is a standards-development effort aimed at facilitating the broad dissemination of information about scholarly content available in digital archives. It does not focus on distributing the content, but rather on sharing descriptive information about works available in archives. By developing information-sharing standards, tools can be created that can search across many different electronic archives, even if those archives use very different software for content-management. For more information on OAI, see The Open Archives Initiative FAQ. OAIster is a search engine that uses OAI standards to search multiple digital archives. Also, because OAI standards are publicly available, even commercial search engines like Google and Yahoo can take advantage of OAI-compatible information in running their searches.

How does DRUM fit into open access?

Works deposited in DRUM are accessible to any Internet user at no cost. By making scholarly works freely available, DRUM is promoting open access to a diverse body of research created by University of Maryland affiliates. DRUM is managed using OAI-complaint software so the descriptive information about works in DRUM is available to any search system that can use OAI standards.

What does it mean that DRUM is UM's repository?

Many research institutions around the world are creating institutional repositories to safeguard and make available the works of their scholars and researchers. While ordinary Web pages have been used to great advantage to share scholarship and research, they also tend to be hard to create and maintain. Finding scholarly information on the open Web is often difficult. Institutional repositories improve on the basic functions of the Web. They work by providing stable storage for deposited files and gathering and publicizing basic descriptive information; these digital documents can be found, read, and used by a global audience. Repositories are designed to make it easy for authors to deposit their works and for any researcher to locate works of interest quickly and easily. The costs are kept very low and are covered by the institution rather than the author or the reader. The University of Maryland is participating in this international exchange of scholarly information by creating DRUM to provide institutional repository services to its scholars and researchers. More information about institutional repositories is available.

Still have questions?
General inquiries: drum-help@umd.edu, (301) 314-1328
DRUM Coordinator: Terry Owen, towen@umd.edu