Please use this identifier to cite or link to this collection:


Archaeology in Annapolis is a city wide excavation of Maryland’s capital city whose purpose is to recover and teach with the below ground remains of materials from the 1680’s to today. Archaeology in Annapolis is a part of the Department of Anthropology of the University of Maryland, College Park and has been, and in some cases remains, partners with Historic Annapolis Foundation, the Banneker-Douglass Museum, Kunta Kinte-Alex Haley Foundation, and the City of Annapolis. The project was begun in 1981 and continues to excavate in the City and on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. The project works to provide understanding of the many peoples who have made up the City in the past and present. Under the direction of founder Dr. Mark P. Leone, the organization has conducted over forty excavations in the historic area of Maryland’s capitol city. This collection includes archaeological site reports produced by the project between 1985 and the present. Where possible, separate files for artifact catalogs have been provided.

A physical component of the collection will be housed in the National Trust room of Hornbake Library on the University of Maryland campus. It will contain copies of site reports, field notes, drawings, slides, contact sheets, photographs, historic research, oral history transcripts, artifact cataloging sheets, analytical notes, dissertations, scholarly and public papers, presentations, journal articles, administrative planning notes, correspondence, visitor evaluations, press releases, brochures, exhibition planning notes and grant proposals.

Recent Submissions

View more